The five main areas for the center are:
- The development of smart building materials that adapt dynamically to changes in indoor and outdoor environments.
- The development of smart building energy systems that increase efficiency using continuous monitoring, data mining, intelligent diagnostics and optimal controls.
- The development of integrated energy generation systems that work with buildings such as solar power, combined heat and thermo-electric generators.
- The development of smart grid systems to better distribute energy resources.
- Integrating energy efficient technologies and renewable energy resources through better urban design and operation.